Between the two principal squares of Cortona
Palazzo Casali, also known as Palazzo Pretorio, is located in Piazza Signorelli, between the theater and the municipal building. Though the building’s facade dates back to the XVII century, it was built in the XIII century by the Casali family and was their official residence (1325-1409). From 1411 it was seat of the Florentine captains and commissioners, as shown by the numerous stone crests on the external right side and in the inner courtyard. Starting from 1728 the noble floors have become the venue of the Accademia Etrusca and its Museum.
The two underground floors, that were prisons in the past, now house the Museum of the Etruscan and Roman City of Cortona. United in a single path with the Museum of the Accademia Etrusca make up the MAEC (Museo dell’Accademia Etrusca e della Città di Cortona). The building also houses, on the first floor, the library BCAE (Biblioteca del Comune e dell’Accademia Etrusca) and the historical archive.